Domestic Violence Civil/Criminal Court Advocate
Provides court advocacy and crisis intervention to victims of domestic violence at civil and Criminal Domestic Violence Court. Comply with provision of services pertaining to the domestic violence program.
1. Conducts recruitment at court by distributing information and brochures to victims at domestic violence, targeting those who are without any advocate or outside support.
2. Opens new cases at domestic violence court on behalf of Spanish speaking victims of domestic violence and provides court advocacy for these cases.
3. Provides IDVA education to Spanish speaking domestic violence victims during individual and group sessions.
4. Provides legal advocacy for Spanish speaking victims of domestic violence in obtaining Emergency Orders of Protection.
5. Provides follow up services and court accompaniment to hearing s scheduled for Plenary Orders of Protection to Spanish speaking victims of domestic violence.
6. Provides transportation to victims of domestic violence as needed.
7. Assess each victim’s case and works with the cook county State Attorney’s to ensure victims receive the full range of benefits from the Order of Protection.
8. Assists and advocates for victims in securing proper assistance, assists in understanding legal proceedings, assists in securing legal reports/documents and provides the necessary information, referrals and linkages within or outside Mujeres (i.e. information on divorce, child support, child custody, etc.)
9. Provides information on Crime Victims Compensation and assists with petition.
10. Provides crisis intervention to in-person and telephone clients at agency.
11. Submits monthly reports, statistical and all required documentation in a timely matter while maintaining client’s records according to service standards.
12. Participates in all required internal agency meetings.
13. Stays aware of changes in the law and implementation policy via training, reading, researching, and contact with other providers.
14. Other VOCA allowable duties as assigned by DV Coordinator (i.e. Media presentations, domestic violence informational panels, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Services/Legal Field
- Bilingual, Bicultural (Spanish/English)
- Illinois Certified Domestic Violence 40-Hour Training
- Effective interpersonal skills and written communication
Submit resume and cover letter to Jimena Flores at DVjobs@mujereslat.org
Mujeres Latinas en Acción hires the most qualified candidates without regard to any person’s race, color sex, gender identity, gender expression, age religion, disability, national, origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status or source of income.