- 14 Highlights from 2014
14 Highlights from 2014
1. Started Jóvenes con Palabra, a leadership/anti-violence program for teenage boys. Now part of Proyecto Juventud.
2. Registered 922 voters in Chicago and the Western Suburbs for the 2014 Illinois Midterm Elections.
3. Held performances of the Vagina Monologues in English and Spanish for Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
4. Brought community members and clients to Springfield to advocate for the Human Services budget, the TRUST Act, and the Illinois Domestic Worker’s Bill of Rights.
5. Marched in Ni Una Víctima Más March/Rally to stand against domestic violence.
6. Published Latina Portrait: Latinas and Economic Security and advocated for an increase in the minimum wage.
8. Held a Community Cafecito Meeting to bring people together to speak about the issues affecting their community, ranging from violence to education.
9. Advocated for comprehensive immigration reform and celebrated President Obama’s Administrative Relief.
10. Worked with other sexual violence prevention organizations to bring The Monument Quilt, a project sharing the stories of sexual assault survivors, to the Daley Plaza in downtown Chicago.
12. Held the fourth annual Maria Mangual Latina Leadership Conference, attended by 400 people, with guest speaker Tony Porter from A Call to Men. Honored Blanca Hidalgo, a volunteer and Latina Leadership participant, with the Emerging Leader Award.