Domestic Violence Court Advocate
BASIC FUNCTION: Provides court advocacy and crisis intervention services to survivors of domestic violence at Civil and Criminal Domestic Violence Court.
REPORTS TO: Domestic Violence Program Court Advocate Supervisor
- Provide legal advocacy services for DV survivors including crisis intervention, education on survivor rights, protective orders, Crime Victim Compensation, and community resource referrals.
- Accompanies DV survivors to court when obtaining Emergency Orders of Protection and Ongoing Order of Protection hearings.
- Collaborate with State Attorney’s Office and Court Personnel to assist and advocate for DV survivors in securing timely assistance, understanding legal proceedings, obtaining legal reports/documents, ensuring language access, and provide necessary information relating to client needs.
- Provide legal advocacy information and education under Illinois Domestic Violence Act to DV survivors engaged in group counseling services.
- Conduct recruitment and outreach in courthouses to engage DV survivors in court advocacy services.
- Coordinate transportation with DV Program for DV survivors to/from court, as needed.
- Stay informed of changes to laws and policies impacting DV survivors.
- Complete client documentation and data entry as required on a timely manner.
- Submit reports, as needed.
- Participate, advocate and represent Mujeres and DV Program at internal and external meetings.
- Participate in professional development trainings, as needed.
- Complete other tasks assigned by DV Court Advocate Supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in social services, or equivalent experience
- Bilingual and Bicultural (Spanish/English) Required
- Effective interpersonal skills and written communication
- Illinois Certified Domestic Violence 40-Hour Training preferred
$43,000 – $48,000
TO APPLY: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Mujeres Latinas en Acción hires the most qualified candidates without regard to any person’s race, color sex, gender identity, gender expression, age religion, disability, national, origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status or source of income.
Other Career Opportunities
Responsible for organizing,
implementing, leading and providing outreach efforts and trainings to diverse fields, including facilitating 42-Hour Domestic Violence training. Responsible for providing trauma informed domestic violence education to diverse communities. Supervises Mujeres’ DV Community Educator. Provides crisis intervention and community referrals to adult survivors of domestic violence.